Ever need more than 140 characters to make your point on Twitter? Twitter cards allow additional content to be generated along with your pithy tweet text. There are many types of Twitter Cards (we’ve listed them below) and there reminiscent of those automatic Facebook destination previews when inserting a link.
Types of Twitter Cards
- Summary Card: Default Card, including a title, description, thumbnail, and Twitter account attribution.
- Summary Card with Large Image: Similar to a Summary Card, but offers the ability to prominently feature an image.
- Photo Card: A Tweet sized photo Card.
- Gallery Card: A Tweet Card geared toward highlighting a collection of photos.
- App Card: A Tweet Card for providing a profile of an application.
- App Installs and Deep-Linking: An extension to any Card that provides app download and deep linking.
- Player Card: A Tweet sized video/audio/media player Card.
- Product Card: A Tweet Card to better represent product content.
Here are some other examples on Twitter:
500px: Island in the sky
Every marketer wants higher engagement, and by providing more content or a flashy image, your tweets is have a higher chance of standing out. You can even create Twitter cards based off content from your own site or blog (see below).
How To Create Twitter Cards from Your Site or Blog Content
Some HTML code will need to be added to your site or blog and your domain will need to be approved by Twitter. After that, anytime someone posts content from your site on twitter, a twitter card will automatically be generated. Please go here for more information.