The 4 Signs Your Association Needs Marketing Automation
You’d Like to Increase the Percentage of Prospects Who Actually Generate Revenue (Become Members, Register for Webinars/Events, etc.)
Marketing Automation tracks the email and website activity of both members and prospects, providing you valuable insights into the interests of each. For prospects, this capturing of both email open/clicks as well as visits to the different pages of your website provides valuable insights into each person’s interests, allowing you to segment and tailor your messages on an individual basis – automatically.
- Boost membership conversion by providing relevant information to each individual prospect at the right time. Your system will recognize the stage of the membership exploration and purchase cycle that each potential member is in and can automatically send the messages that you’d like each such person to receive at that point.
- With marketing automation, it’s easier to follow up on behavior that indicates an interest in your associations’ membership benefits. For example, if a nonmember clicks on a “Join Our Association” link in an email, your system can trigger an alert to your membership department or can trigger an email or email series to that prospect that you’ve designed to appeal to potential members – perhaps a discount offer, perhaps a link to your calendar of upcoming member webinars and events.
You can relax knowing that each potential member is receiving exactly the message that you’ve decided is appropriate without requiring any staff effort.
Your Marketing Campaigns Aren’t As Effective as You’d Like
You know your association delivers valuable benefits to its members. Your annual conference generates positive reviews, as do your training/certification programs.
Now all you need are customers, right? Well, with marketing automation, you’ll have the marketing campaign information you need to capitalize on all this potential and maximize marketing results.
With ongoing oversight of each campaign participant’s actions, you’ll be able to create more effective campaigns going forward, recognizing and focusing on the members/prospects that are more likely to purchase the event or product that a given marketing campaign is promoting.
- Marketing Automation captures the various data points that indicate interest – email activity, website visits, landing page conversions/abandonment, etc. and integrates all of this with the data in your membership database/CRM system, consolidating it and making it available for instantaneous use in marketing campaigns.
- The reporting found in current Marketing Automation systems provides you with graphs, charts, and tables that are not only visually compelling but also incredibly useful.You can effortlessly browse through your campaign information, clicking on elements in a graphic report to drill down to the underlying data and easily comparing/contrasting the results of various campaigns to identify those campaigns and campaign components that are generating the best results.
Marketing and Member Services Resources Are Stretched Thin
If your association has limited resources, Marketing Automation can help by reducing staff workload while at the same time improving the relevance and timeliness of outbound communications.
It does this by automating a wide range of repetitive and predictable tasks, eliminating the hours required to do things such as run reports, export results, update lists and manually execute email campaigns.
Associations using Marketing Automation enjoy a powerful and liberating transition – the internal conversation changes from HOW (association staff searching for ways to do the things that they already know would be helpful) to instead discussing WHAT (association staff deciding which additional marketing programs or initiatives would be the best way to achieve a given result and then conducting these new programs because it’s now viable).
You’re Not Re-Engaging Underengaged Members
Think about the current marketing/email software you have in place, and ask yourself the following:
- Are you easily able to recognize when a current member seems less involved in your association and its activities than seems healthy? In other words, does your system bring to your attention underengaged members who might not be deriving enough benefit from membership to renew when the time comes?
- If you are aware of such members, is your system able to automatically trigger alerts to your membership team and/or email campaigns to each underengaged member that encourage increased engagement based on what you know about each person’s individual interests and preferences? Can your system trigger these individually and based (if you wish), on the personal membership renewal dates of each at-risk member?
If you can relate to any of the restrictions of older systems mentioned above, Marketing Automation could deliver real benefits to your association. By upgrading to Marketing Automation you would have a system that monitors all the activity and information that you decide is meaningful and incorporates this data into tailored and timely multi-touch marketing campaigns. Contrast campaigns such as these with what your current systems allow you to produce and decide for yourself when Marketing Automation is going to makes sense for your organization.